Just like humans, animals are susceptible to the emotional impacts of environment and lifestyle changes. In the majority of cases, being exposed to unfamiliar and potentially frightening situations can be hard on your pets and result in some degree of behavioral change. Anything from alarming sounds like thunderstorms and fireworks to unfamiliar living situations such as moving to a different home or introducing a new pet to the family, can negatively impact pets.
Some of the most common behavior issues include:
- Stress and Anxiety
- Separation Issues
- Barking Incessantly
- Potty Training
- Fear of Loud Noises
- Fear of New Environments
- Fear of Vet and/or Groomer
If you are a pet parent with a furry loved one exhibiting any of these symptoms, pheromones offer a holistic, effective solution that provides the necessary comfort and ease to correct these unwanted behaviors.
What are Pheromones?
Pheromones are species-specific, chemical signals used by animals to communicate.
Scientists have been able to isolate the appeasing components of pheromones that mimic neonatal pheromone that mothers produce to comfort their young and alleviate stress. When used for pets, the pheromones reduce the overwhelming stress and excitability that result in problem behaviors in both cats and dogs. When an animal is in a relaxed, emotionally balanced state, they are better able to correct or learn acceptable behavior. In addition to its effectiveness, this incredibly safe treatment does not require absorption into the bloodstream or metabolism and is safe to use with other medications.
Pheromone treatment is delegated in a variety of different ways and dependent on the type of animal you have. Due to the fact that pheromones are species-specific, using the right pheromone for the type of animal you have is crucial.
There are a few trusted-brands that offer pheromone treatments that have had incredibly successful results such as Feliway for cats and Adaptil for pups. Both of these brands offer a wide range of treatment options to choose from:
- Pheromone Collar: Fit and designed to stay, this traditional collar offers constant pheromone support no matter where your pet goes.
- Ointment: Applied on the nose, this fast-acting ointment is an effective short-term solution for calming pets.
- Calming Diffuser: This plug in diffuser disperses a stream of calming pheromones to help dogs and cats feel safer and more secure. This type of treatment works best for enclosed areas that your pet frequent.
- Calming Spray: This spray establishes a calm and relaxing environment for almost every surface or area where your pet feels safest. Whether using on pet beds, kennels, or your animal’s favorite sofa, this stain-free spray can provide comfort when needed most.
Not sure on what’s the best way to give pets the pheromones they need? Schedule an appointment with Cedar Pet Clinic Lake Elmo to have one of our veterinarian’s personalize a pheromone treatment for your lovable pet’s unique needs and behavioral issues.
Photo Credit: humonia / iStock / Getty Images Plus